George Washington Elementary / High School began in a wooden building located near Main Street and Avenue G around 1940. Before the school was built, local black students received instruction in an old house and in a small wooden church in North Port. From 1940 to 1945, all eight grades were taught in the building. The school moved to a larger facility on Kenny Street and, in 1952, into a new building of concrete. The gym still stands and serves as a community cultural center.