We love animals in Gulf County and are proud to say we are truly a pet-friendly destination! On all Gulf County beaches, with the exception of St. Joseph Peninsula State Park, pets on leashes are more than welcome to take their owners for a walk. Despite the leash law, dogs can still have fun! Be sure to bring a long lead leash so both you and your pets can be active.
To help keep our beautiful beaches clean, there are over 20 pet waste disposal stations with bags and receptacles along the public beach access points.
Within Port St. Joe, pets and their owners can take advantage of the Port City Trail a nearly 4-mile stroll that wanders through our quaint city.
BayWalk Trail meanders from the Port St. Joe Marina to Frank Pate Park boasting beautiful views of St. Joseph Bay. Many vacation rental properties offer pet-friendly accommodations and encourage visitors to bring their pets.
Many of the local shops and even restaurants welcome well-behaved pets on leashes and their owners. The Bow Wow Beach Shop has everything you need to make it a great pet-friendly vacation including accessories and tasty treats. The St. Joseph Bay Humane Society is truly committed to fostering healthy and well-behaved pets. Their commitment to rehabilitating and training lost or abandoned dogs allows for many happy adoptions.
Even the Gulf County Welcome Center is pet-friendly! We invite you (and your pets) to stop on in and say hello!
Do you like to travel with your pets? Send us a picture on Facebook of your furry loved ones enjoying some down time. We would love to share it with our friends and pin it in our collection on Pinterest.
- Always keep your dog on a leash. You never know what you might run into... and it’s the law.
- Respect children and adults around you who may not be familiar with your pet.
- Never leave your dog in the car. Even with the windows rolled down it’s dangerous and your pet can easily overheat.
- Always keep doggy bags with you. You never know when you will need one.
- Please don’t bury your pet waste... children love to dig in the sand as much as pets.
- Good behavior is always appreciated so please don’t let your dog behave badly.
- When staying in a hotel with your pets, be courteous of other guests. Good manners keep pets welcome.
- When enjoying a walk on one of our trails, keep your dog close and give others the right of way.